There are Eight Policies that can make a country prosperous:
1. Exercise fiscal austerity to set aside more than adequate financial reserves.
2. Master the agricultural cycles to help farmers produce an abundance of commodities.
3. Attach more importance to agriculture than to trading.
4. Ensure the people have stable employment.
5. Control government expenses—live within your means.
6. Exercise monetary policy to equalize wealth.
7. Check the influence of lobbyists.
8. Put an end to cliques that band together for selfish purposes.
Scroll 50: Yuan Zi Zheng Shu
Prices of goods will decline when there is a surplus. The government can take this opportunity to buy the goods and stockpile them. When the demand is greater than the supply, the price will go up and the government can sell off the goods. If the buying and selling is timely, demand and supply will be balanced and the prices of goods will be stabilized. Thus, big merchants and rich families that became rich by cornering the market will not be able to wrest benefits from the common people.
Scroll 14: Han Shu, Vol. 2